+++ Next Deadline for Applications for 2021: September 15, 2021 +++
Please note: The English translation exclusively serves informational purposes; solely the German version is binding.
PURPOSE OF THE FUNDING PROGRAMME
In dialogue with Musicboard, independent labels in Berlin have expressed a need for funding to help establish up-and-coming Berlin artists. This has resulted in a plan to give funding to labels, not only to meet Musicboard’s goal of supporting newcomer Berlin artists as they develop their careers, but also to ease the financial burden on independent labels in Berlin, enabling them to operate with more flexibility.
HOW DOES THE LABEL FUNDING WORK?
Up to now, Musicboard has funded artists indirectly by funding events and structures in the funding programmes Karrieresprungbrett Berlin, Pop im Kiez and Festival Funding, and indirectly in the funding programmes Scholarships & Residencies and Support-Tour Funding. In the case of funding for Berlin labels, the artists benefit not only from financial support but also from the expertise of the labels.
Funding is provided for specific components of an overall marketing concept developed by the applying label for a given artist. The concept must already be in the process of being implemented, e.g. a single has already been released or has been verifiably planned. Labels may apply for individual components, e.g. the creation of a press kit or a promotion campaign, but not for the complete package of the marketing concept. Production costs (studio recordings, mixing, mastering, manufacturing) for commercial releases, whether physical or streaming, will not be considered. Artists may instead apply for such production costs in the funding programme Scholarships & Residencies.
The components applied for must be carried out in the current calendar year.
- The label must be a Berlin-based independent as defined by VUT: owner- or artist-run, officially registered, not part of a corporation, no more than 5% of market share in the segment (see also https://www.vut.de/vut/definition-independent).
- The label must be able to provide proof of a label code with the GVL (Gesellschaft zur Verwertung von Leistungsschutzrechten).
- Only one instance of funding per artist per year and a maximum of two instances of funding per label per year for a total amount of up to 5,000.00 EUR per year will be considered.
- The funding may not be used for a complete marketing concept but rather for one component, e.g. PR work. The label must be able to show that it has already taken steps with the artist/project or plans to do so (e.g. an album has already been produced, a press kit is to be created).
- The funding may not be used for the production of recorded media intended for sale (e.g. the creation and pressing of an album or EP).
- The artist must be able to provide official proof of residence in Berlin.
- The individual component applied for may not have already begun.
Additionally, the applying label must have:
- already professionally handled at least two releases (artist albums / new productions)
- suitable distribution for the release on a national or international scale
- proper management and be a position to guarantee and prove that the funds are used in accordance with their intended purpose
Application Submission & Review
Applications are submitted and funds allocated on a quarterly basis upon recommendation of a jury. The recommendation is made by the jury of the Scholarships & Residencies programme.
The project period or the project implementation does not have to take place in the quarter in which the application is submitted.
The four application deadlines for 2021 are February 15, March 15, June 15 and September 15, 2021 (00:00 in the night leading to the following day).
The following documents must be submitted exclusively online for the Label Funding programme:
- Fully completed application form
- Project description with explanation of the requested measure
- Artist biography/description of artistic career
- Links to audio clips
- Proof of a contractual relationship between label and artist (signing)
- Proof of at least two successful releases, e.g. as weblinks
- Proof of proper management, distribution and entrepreneurial professionalism, e.g. via an overview of previous successful releases, cooperation with external distributors, etc.
- Confirmation that there is no ownership by a major label
- Proof of residence of the artist – Note: Berlin must be clearly evident as place of residence!
- Specification of costs indicating the amount of funding requested
Detailed Funding Information
Detailed information on the following points can be found in the Musicboard funding guidelines for funding programmes:
1. Funding objectives and legal basis
2. Object of Funding
3. Funding recipient
4. Prerequisites for funding
5. Type, scope and rates of funding, e.g. financial plan
6. Other terms and conditions
8. Period of validity
LINK TO ONLINE FORM
Apply here: Online Application
FURTHER INFORMATION & DOCUMENTS
- Musicboard funding guidelines:
- Allgemeine Nebenbestimmungen für Zuwendungen zur Projektförderung (ANBest-P), in German only:
- Financialplan Template:
We’re happy to answer questions regarding the application for the Label Funding programme via email or telephone:
- Consultation by telephone:
Tel: +49 (0)30 280 467 67