For the first application deadline February 1, 2017 Musicboard Berlin received this year particularly many relevant and eligible projects for the funding programs Karrieresprungbrett Berlin, Pop im Kiez and Festival Funding. Thus Musicboard faces the challenge to support those projects which have already contributed to the development of pop musicians and the pop cultural scene in Berlin, but which are unrealisable without funding, and new projects with innovative ideas enriching the local scene. The focus of supporting women in pop culture could be found in each application handed in and Musicboard is very much looking forward to support overall 48 great projects with the total sum of 687,000 EUR in these three funding programs in the first half of the year. Musicboard will carefully observe a balanced participation of women and men in panels and workshops, as well as booking and line-ups in all funding programs.
61 applications have been handed in for the funding program Karrieresprungbrett Berlin with a total amount of 1.3 million EUR. 27 projects will be funded with the amount of approx. 295,000 EUR.
Within this funding program, the following projects will be supported, which particularly focus on supporting women in pop culture:
- European Women in Music – Networking & Showcase Event: founding of a new platform especially for women and female artists in the music business including a showcase event
- Berlin Community Radio – Incubator: Ableton workshops, PR support, photo sessions and radio experience particularly for female electronic musicians and producers and people of the LGBT and queer community
- VUT – Mentoring program within the network Music Industry Women: empowerment of female young professionals in the music business
- SISTER Berlin DJ mentor initiative: development of a night club series for female, female-identifying, non-binary newcomer DJs including a trainee program
- SoundSystersStage 2017: gender diversity in the sound section – knowledge transfer for women and transgender people of basic skills in sound engineering in the live section including a live sound check with a newcomer band
- Music and Visuals: workshop for up-and-coming female DJs and producers to learn the professional production and playing of club videos (visuals)
- Jenseits von Nelken und Pralinen: concert on the International Women’s Day, March 8, with Berlin-based and international female Hip Hop and Rap newcomer artists
- Heroines of Sound: concert series with women of the electronic music scene
- Monika Werkstatt: concert series with female artists and producers of the electronic music scene of different generations
- »Ich brauche ein Genie« by Bohemian Strawberry Records: lecture and live performance format for Berlin-based female newcomer artists
- »Ich bin eine Berlinerin«: concert series at SO36 featuring female artists
- EH EH EH Music: concert series and workshops for Berlin-based and international female newcomer artists from (north-) Africa and Middle East
Further projects, which will be supported again due to their relevance:
- Handiclapped-Inklusion rockt! : concert series and workshops for musicians with and without disabilities
- BERLIN/TOUCH: concert series focussing on newcomer artists
- Preis für Popkultur: innovative prize for outstanding achievements in pop culture based on member’s voting
- Shoot it yourself: music video workshop including video shoot
- Ein Hit ist ein Hit: concert, talk, presentation series dealing with pop cultural relevant themes
- »Take it to the streets« East Side Music Days: focus on street musicians
- Sample Music Festival: presentations, workshops and performances around the art of sampling
In 2017 the Neukölln Country Club will be supported for the first time, booking up-and-coming artists and already established Berlin-based newcomers. Furthermore the Berlin Song Week receives funding, supporting singer/songwriter and producers with workshops, exchange and presentation possibilities on the occasion of ›SongsCon‹ und the ›German Songwriting Awards‹. With Sound of Berlin, a new platform of different Berlin-based Electronic/Dance labels and artists will be supported to develop together an international streaming and playlist marketing strategy. The concert series J.A.W, focussing on the exchange and synergy of different styles and generations of musicians from the international and Berlin pop and jazz music scene will be supported, as well as Studio C, also a concert series curated by artists of the section core classic, new classical, contemporary and electronic to fathom intersections. Musicboard also funds Sooper Talk presented by SchneidersBuero, a top-class discussion round including a live act of a female artist during this year’s Superbooth 2017, a trade show for electronic music instruments. By supporting Musique Couture Rendez-Vous Dinnerparties , a new meeting occasion in Berlin for representatives of the music, art, fashion, media and film scene will be established, to give newcomer DJs a platform and lay foundations for interdisciplinary exchange and projects.
POP IM KIEZ
23 applications have been handed in for the program Pop im Kiez with a total amount of 707,000 EUR. 8 projects will be funded with the amount of approx. 111,000 EUR.
Within this funding program, the following projects will again be supported:
- Clubcommission e.V.: consulting services for venue and club owners, as well as Free-Open-Air workshops
- pop im ausland (PIA): innovative concert series at the very spcial venue ausland in Prenzlauer Berg
- Kiezsalon at Musikbrauerei: exciting concert and club series with innovative booking at the atmospheric Musikbrauerei in Prenzlauer Berg
In 2017 the Ramba Zamba e.V. will be supported with the project 21 Downbeat – five actors, including two with Down syndrome form a band and work together with invited artists, e.g. Romano, to create a performance which will be presented in their hood around Kulturbrauerei and elsewhere. The conference Music Cities Convention, the first convention for creative heads of communities, districts, science, consulting and music business will receive funding to discuss the development of music cities. The Creative Footprint (CFP), an initiative of young targets gets support as well, to evaluate the use of spaces by creatives of all kind and to document changes and development. Furthermore the Musicboard enables a feasibility study for the exhibition called Berlin 91. Techno und die große Freiheit of Stiftung Musik und Maschine Berlin gGmbH, as well as the amplified kitchen, a concert and talk series about production conditions and the reception of electronic club culture.
23 applications have been handed in for the program Festival Funding with a total amount of 707,000 EUR. 13 projects will be funded with the amount of approx. 281,000 EUR.
Within this funding program, the following projects will again be supported:
- CTM Festival – Fear Anger Love
- 3hd Festival
- Berlin Atonal – new: Modul 049x for Berlin-based up-and-coming artists
- Krake Festival
- YO! SISSY Music Festival
- Die Nächte des Ramadan – Women’s Voices
- Down by the River Festival #9
- XJAZZ Festival
- Musikschiff ›Dancing Shadows‹ within 48 Stunden Neukölln
Furthermore the well curated By the Lake Festival will be supported in 2017, which presents up-and-coming musicians and established artists from the electronic and experimental music scene in a relaxed atmosphere. On the occasion of the opening of Le Dorf planned for early summer this year on the area of Holzmarkt, the interdisciplinary SpreeSpektakel receives funding, as well as the MIRA Festival, strengthening the exchange between the cultural capitals Berlin and Barcelona through special shows, performances and panels, also reflecting the position of women in audiovisual art and music.
MUSICBOARD BERLIN – INTERNATIONAL
Musicboard Berlin GmbH is assisting Berlin-based musicians with their first steps on an international stage, for instance by organising again a Berlin Beats showcase evening at this years’ SXSW in Austin, Texas, taking place March 17, 2017. The focus will again be electronic music and the showcase is embedded in the official program. This year Perera Elsewhere and the Musicboard alumni at the Villa Aurora 2017, Stefan Goldman can present their sound, amongst others. On the occasion of the third Pop-Kultur, running from August 23-25, 2017 at Kulturbrauerei, an international delegation of creative heads and decision makers of the music business and creative industries will be invited.
Ongoing application for the program Support Tour Funding of Berlin-based Musicians and bands is possible until November 30, 2017.
The second deadline for the funding programs Karrieresprungbrett Berlin and Pop im Kiez will be June 1, 2017.