Please note: The English translation exclusively serves informational purposes; solely the German version is binding.
In 2021, Musicboard Berlin in cooperation with Nusasonic, will grant a two-month residency to one Berlin-based musician, who should work virtually and in tandem with an artist based in Singapore. This is the second residency offered in cooperation with Nusasonic, which is a collaborative project between Playfreely/BlackKaji (Singapore), Yes No Klub (Yogyakarta), WSK Festival for the Recently Possible (Manila), CTM Festival (Berlin) and Goethe-Institut that aims to foster dialogue between musicians within Southeast Asia with links to Europe and beyond.
Please note: The below application is for Berlin-based artists applying via Musicboard Berlin. Singapore-based artists are invited to apply via the Playfreely website.
Eligible applicants are:
- solo artists living and working in Berlin
- musicians active between experimental pop, club music, sound art, noise, improvisation, and multimedia performance
- musicians who work in or are currently developing work related to the fields of film, video, games, interactive media, programming, installation, and who engage in research-based practises
- musicians who demonstrate a high level of independence and personal initiative, are interested in the possibilities of online creation and presentation, are open to interdisciplinary exchange, and have a keen interest in working collaboratively.
Before the residency is confirmed, the organisers will consult with each artist regarding their tandem partner, to verify mutual consent in the collaboration.
The virtual residency is eight weeks long and can take place anytime between October – December 2021, with public presentations in early 2022. The exact periods will be coordinated between the selected artists and the host organisations.
Laure Boer & Auspicious Family, WSK Festival, Manila. Foto: Kiko Nunez, WSK Festival
Due to the ongoing pandemic, the 2021 residency will take place as a virtual tandem residency that supports a collaborative project between a Berlin-based artist with a Singapore-based artist. The aim of the residency is to identify common as well as complementary interests between both artists, which can serve as a springboard for developing a joint artistic work to be presented at the end of the residency period.
Both artists will be selected through separate open calls, and will be supported in their joint creative process by Berlin’s CTM Festival and by Singapore band The Observatory, who run the experimental music performance series BlackKaji as well as the festival Playfreely. The two host organisations will support the process through moderation, feedback, and providing access to knowledge and expertise situated within their wider networks. The resulting work will be publicly presented online, or at the hosts’ respective festivals/events in Singapore and Berlin, should the pandemic situation allow for in-person presentations.
- weekly stipend in the amount of 250 EUR per artist (2.000 EUR per artist for full residency)
- a shared production budget of up to 3.000 EUR is also available for the tandem duo to use
The application deadline for the virtual tandem residency is July 15, 2021. All application-related information and the link to the online form can be found here.
MUSICBOARD x NUSASONIC ALUMNI – SOUTHEAST ASIA
Laure Boer – 2019 (Manila, Philippines)
We’re happy to answer questions via email or telephone. Since we are mostly working in the home office at the moment, we kindly ask you to pose short, simple questions via email and send Maureen Noe a callback number if you would like to request a phone consultation.
- Consultation by telephone:
+49 (0)30 288 787 88